Communications & Community Engagement Coordinator
Be a part of making a meaningful difference in your community.
Nanaimo Foundation inspires gifts of energy, ideas, time and money to address local needs and make lasting impacts in our community. We are the community foundation of Nanaimo, Ladysmith, Cedar, Gabriola Island and Lantzville. We are connected to our communities and strategically support local charities. At Nanaimo Foundation, we simplify and enhance charitable giving and work with generous donors to build permanent legacies to do good now and forever.
Nanaimo Foundation is seeking a skilled storyteller, communications specialist and relationship builder to support our next phase of growth.
Our ideal candidate enjoys connecting with people and is adept at inspiring others with excellent communication skills. You are up for a challenge, driven by doing work that matters and thrive at setting and delivering on goals. You succeed in a position that offers freedom to work on your own terms and embrace the responsibility that comes with that.
As Communications & Community Engagement Coordinator, you will be an integral member of our small team and will report to and work closely with the Executive Director. You will primarily focus on developing and implementing innovative communications strategies, and secondly engage donors and support the Foundation’s fundraising and grantmaking.
Your responsibilities will include:
- With guidance from the Executive Director, develop and implement strategic marketing and communications plans
- Collect story content, including grant recipient narratives, and write grantee and impact stories
- Write, edit and design marketing and stewardship materials, including requests for support, sponsorship packages, information packages, annual reports and donor impact reports
- Write and distribute press releases and media advisories
- Maintain website appearance and content
- Manage social media
- Write and distribute newsletters
- Oversee the production of video content
- Assist with the creation of the Nanaimo Foundation Vital Signs® report
- Cultivate and nurture relationships with corporate donors and sponsors
- Assist with the coordination of the annual Give Where You Live Social fundraising event
- Organize small donor stewardship events
- Perform administrative fundraising duties, such as logging donations, issuing tax receipts and maintaining the donor database
- Handwrite cards to donors and sponsors
- Occasionally write requests for grants and grant reports for funds received
- Lead the Nanaimo Foundation Neighbourhood Small Grants program once or twice per year
Skills, knowledge and experience required to succeed as our Communications & Community Engagement Coordinator are:
- Proven persuasive writing skills
- Solid interpersonal communication skills
- Strong relationship building abilities with a demonstrated success in cultivating and maintaining relationships
- Experience in developing marketing and communications copy
- Experience in creating and implementing strategic marketing and communications plans
- Proficient with social media platforms
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Ability to efficiently organize and manage diverse projects while meeting multiple deadlines
- Thorough attention to all details
- Ability to collaborate and complete projects independently
- A willingness to learn
Additional skills, knowledge and experience that would be an asset in this role include:
- Digital design skills
- Familiarity with Canva, Mailchimp, WordPress and Adobe Creative Suite
- Fundraising and/or sales experience
- An understanding of SEO and Google Analytics
- Photography and videography experience
- Community knowledge
Nanaimo Foundation supports employees creating work schedules and work models that work best for them and the organization. We value in-person collaboration and opportunities for employees to successfully manage tasks and responsibilities via remote work.
This position is permanent and 30 hours per week, with a starting salary of $37,500 – $42,600 per year.
- Three weeks vacation per calendar year + 15 paid holiday days per calendar year
- Up to 12 paid sick days per calendar year
- Health benefits after three months
- Flexible schedule
- Optional hybrid in-office and remote work model
Interested candidates are invited to apply by email to [email protected]
Please include a cover letter with your resume clearly explaining why you are the best person for this position to the attention of Laurie Bienert, Executive Director.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early as resumes will be reviewed as they are received.
Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment. An accommodation will be made as legislated by the BC Human Rights Code.
We thank all who have expressed interest in this position but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Nanaimo Foundation is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, justice, anti-oppression and Reconciliation.
We are grateful to live and work on the beautiful traditional and unceded lands of the Snaw-naw-as, Snuneymuxw and Stz’uminus First Nations.