Magic happens when neighbours connect. It forms friendships, and makes our communities safer and more vibrant. The Neighbourhood Small Grants (NSG) program helps residents of any age, experience, or background take part in building community.
Culture Neighbourhood Small Grants
The Fall 2021 Neighbourhood Small Grant Cycle in the Greater Nanaimo region is culture-themed. The goals of Culture Neighbourhood Small Grants are to support strong, vibrant and united cultures by celebrating diversity and building inclusion.
If you live in Nanaimo, Ladysmith, Cedar, Gabriola Island or Lantzville, you can receive $50 – $500 for a project that you want to lead in your community. Neighbourhood Small Grants are for individuals, not organizations.
Projects themes could be, but are not limited to:
- Celebrate Indigenous languages – Host an Indigenous language workshop
- Celebrate other languages – Host an introductory Finnish language lesson
- Share cultural practices across generations – Share a cultural skill with youth
- Share culture with new audiences – Host a cultural dance session
- Create opportunities for cultural exchanges – Host a cultural expo
- Youth-led culture projects – Set up a heritage exchange workshop
- Share culturally appropriate food – Host a cultural feast with neighbours
- Diversity & Inclusion – Help create a community where everyone feels welcome
Sign up for a Neighbourhood Small Grants Info Session.
Info sessions will be held over Zoom.
All three sessions will share the same information. Click a button below to register for the date that works for you.
Ready to apply?
Applications will be accepted September 15 – October 29, 2021.
We are grateful for support from Vancouver Foundation which funds this program in our communities and across BC.
If you have questions, please email [email protected] or call 250-734-3971
Interested in joining the Neighbourhood Small Grants Committee?
Help select the projects for your neighbourhood. Learn more and express your interest to participate on the NSG Committee by emailing [email protected]