Magic happens when neighbours connect. It forms friendships, and makes our communities safer and more vibrant. The Neighbourhood Small Grants (NSG) program helps residents of any age, experience, or background take part in building community.
Culture Neighbourhood Small Grants
The 2022 Neighbourhood Small Grants program in the Greater Nanaimo region is culture-themed, with a special focus on celebrating Ukrainian culture and supporting displaced Ukrainians.
The goals of Culture Neighbourhood Small Grants are to support strong, vibrant and united cultures by celebrating diversity and building inclusion.
If you live in Nanaimo, Ladysmith, Cedar, Gabriola Island or Lantzville, you can receive $50 – $500 for a project that you want to lead in your community. Neighbourhood Small Grants are for individuals, not organizations.
Projects themes could be, but are not limited to:
- Celebrate Indigenous languages – Host an Indigenous language workshop
- Celebrate other languages – Host an introductory Finnish language lesson
- Share cultural practices across generations – Share a cultural skill with youth
- Share culture with new audiences – Host a cultural dance session
- Create opportunities for cultural exchanges – Host a cultural expo
- Youth-led culture projects – Set up a heritage exchange workshop
- Share culturally appropriate food – Host a cultural feast with neighbours
- Diversity & Inclusion – Help create a community where everyone feels welcome
Email [email protected] or call (250)-816-9723 for more information.
Ready to apply?
Applications are currently closed. Nanaimo Foundation will not be running a fall cycle in 2022. Check back in early 2023 for updates on the next cycle!
We are grateful for support from Vancouver Foundation which funds this program in our communities and across BC.
If you have questions, please email [email protected] or call 250-616-6057
Interested in joining the Neighbourhood Small Grants Committee?
Help select the projects for your neighbourhood. Learn more and express your interest to participate on the NSG Committee by emailing [email protected]