Sow the Seeds of Your Legacy
An old Chinese proverb says: “One generation plants the trees… another gets the shade.”
This is the idea of Legacy Giving. When you leave a gift to Nanaimo Foundation in your will, you are planting a seed: a seed that, with careful tending, will grow into something for future generations to benefit from, ultimately leaving a gift that helps build a better world.
Our commitment to you
When you entrust your Legacy Giving to Nanaimo Foundation, we offer these four commitments to you:
- We will invest your gift wisely. Join other individuals, families and businesses who have entrusted their legacies to us. We work with top-notch investment experts to help your fund grow so that the reach of your legacy will expand over time.
- We will carry out your wishes. We are your legacy partners and we’ve been helping people leave legacies to their community since 1982. We ensure your legacy is always invested wisely in the community – directed to the best and most effective community projects and charities in the areas you care most about.
- We will ensure that your gift has a lasting impact. As Nanaimo’s community foundation, we have deep roots in the community and unparalleled knowledge of community issues and organizations. No matter what your interest – children and youth, arts and culture, education, environment, health care, animals – we will ensure your legacy gift always makes a real difference.
- We will honour your generosity. There is great power in charitable giving through an endowment fund. It’s a reflection of your values, and a statement to future generations about your foresight, concern, imagination and vision. We’ll work with you to share your story and inspire others to make a difference in our community – or, if you prefer, your anonymity will be respected.
It’s easy to get started – start building your legacy today.
- Talk with the right people – Talk with your family, friends, financial advisor, or lawyer. Discuss what you care about and what impact you would like to have in your community. Explore what you might use to create your fund: a gift in your will, life insurance, RRSP/RRIF, or something else. There are many options.
- Call Nanaimo Foundation – We’re happy to answer questions about gift types, fund options, and tax implications. With our extensive knowledge of the community, we can help you identify the best way to support the causes you care about.
- Update your Will – A well-prepared, up-to-date will is essential to making your wishes known so that your legacy is exactly what you want it to be.
Need more information on wills in British Columbia? Visit here for a great list of resources.